Saturday, July 14, 2012

Sharing Beer with Family

I had a rare opportunity last week to spend quality time with my immediate family.  My sister, Lori, and her husband, Evan, flew in from Steamboat Springs, Colorado for a few days.  My little sister, Libby, and my parents also came down for a great family weekend.  Lori and Evan also came bearing gifts for me :-)

Upon their arrival, we enjoyed a Three Floyds Apocalypse Cow before heading to the Indianapolis Indians game where many Sun King brews were also enjoyed amidst the 100 degree heat.  The Cow was an extremely nice and dangerous double with a creamy body you generally don't get from any IPA.  Definitely not normal, but in a very enjoyable way.

We started on Thursday with a trip to Three Floyds in Munster, Indiana.  Lori and Evan had never been there before.  I was able to grab a couple of cases of Zombie Dust!! Score!  We tried every Three Floyds beer they had on tap that day and none of it disappointed.  I particularly enjoyed Boubon Barrel Aged Robert the Bruce, 219 (a hoppy pale which is rumored to be a Gumballhead and Zombie Dust blend), and of course Zombie Dust.  Don't sleep on the food at Three Floyds either, their Duck Fat Popcorn was fan-freakin-tastic.  We had such a good time at Three Floyds, although some of the customer service there was less than desirable.  My sister wanted to buy a t-shirt and they were out of her size in the one she wanted.  She asked the guy about the one hanging up and he replied sarcastically "it's hanging up size".  Way to be Three Floyds....lol.

Friday we enjoyed several great bottles while I smoked pulled pork and Habanero Sausage Bombs.  If I remember correctly, we enjoyed Goose Island Bourbon County Coffee Stout, Grand Teton Lost Continent, Odell/Thornbridge Pond Hopper, Founders Devil Dancer, Founders Frangelic Mountain Brown, and AleSmith Yule Smith Summer 2012 Double IPA.  Every one of these beers tasted incredible.  The Mountain Brown probably has the best nose of any beer I've ever had.  The Pond Hopper and Yule Smith were both fantastic.  Devil Dancer is a monster.  The surprise of the group was the Lost Continent.  We all really enjoyed this one with it's tropical and citrus hop flavors that were incredibly drinkable.  Of course, the Bourbon County Coffee was off the charts, although slightly disappointed that the coffee flavor had diminished significantly.  A great beer sampling indeed.

Saturday, while Evan napped, I was able to spend some QT with Lori.  We drove around to the Bier Brewery and Flat 12.  We wanted to hit Sun King but their tasting room was closed due to construction.  Lori was particularly bummed about that.  However, we sampled some local Indiana flavors and they did not disappoint.  I really enjoyed Bier's PDG Pale Ale and their Fustercluck IPA.  At Flat 12 I was really surprised at how much I loved the Kiwi Kiwi Hefe.  I am not a Hefe fan typically, but this one had enough tartness from the Kiwi to make it incredibly drinkable for me.  Also enjoyed Liquid Fiction, a session IPA with enough hop punch to make you think you were drinking a typical 6-7% IPA.  Job well done on this one Flat 12.  Of course, a trip to Flat 12 is not complete for me without grabbing a pint of Walkabout Pale Ale.  A Galaxy hopped Pale that is one of my favorite brews they produce.  Photo of my Walkabout:

Saturday night when Lori and Evan got home from dinner with some local friends, we cracked open the Goose Island Bramble Rye Bourbon County Stout.  Hands down the best beer we had all weekend.  Thick, rich, berries throughout.  Smooth.  Rye Whiskey notes came through nicely.  The beer had a port wine characteristic that reminding me a little bit of Dark Lord.  Lots of complexity, even a little tartness in there.  Definitely a winner.

Overall a fantastic beer weekend.  Loved sharing epic beers with family.  Just can't beat spending quality time with loved ones and sharing the nectar of the Gods.  What have you shared with your loved ones?

Dad, Lori, Nolan, and Evan


No comments:

Post a Comment